Alton Brown’s Copycat Crock Pot Chili
Looking for a delicious meaty chili! Make this Alton Brown’s Copycat Crockpot Chili.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 pounds stew meat beef, pork, and/or lamb
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 12 ounces beer preferably a medium ale. Gluten free beer options are Omission Pale Ale or New Belgium
- 16 ounces salsa
- 30 tortilla chips
- 2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Place the meat in a large mixing bowl and toss with the peanut oil and salt. Set aside.
Heat pan over high heat until hot. Add the meat in 3 or 4 batches and brown on all sides, approximately 2 minutes per batch. Once each batch is browned, place the meat in slow cooker.
Once all of the meat is browned, add the beer to the cooker to deglaze the pot.
Scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the meat back to the slow cooker along with the salsa, tortilla chips, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, and ground cumin and stir to combine.
Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours.
Top with shredded cheese, sour cream or avocado!
Calories: 474kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 54g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 141mg | Sodium: 1868mg | Potassium: 1110mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 816IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 6mg