Slow Cooker 15 Bean Soup and Ham is the perfect warm and hearty soup to come home to on a cold day! I love using my Crock Pot to make this easy no soaking required bean soup. This fuss free soup is quick to prep and cooks all day.
Disclaimer- Some links below are Amazon affiliate links, meaning at no extra cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
This Ham and Bean Soup is tradition in our house for after Christmas. We use the ham bone from our Brown Sugar and Pineapple Ham on Christmas Dinner to make this soup along with a bag of Hurst’s HamBeens 15 Bean Soup. This healthy soup is filling and flavorful!
If you don’t have a ham bone you can ask your deli if they have one or ham hocks. Or you can just add diced ham!
What is 15 Bean Soup Mix?
15 Bean Soup Mix is a bag of beans you can purchase at most grocery stores that has 15 different kinds of beans and a delicious seasoning packet. The typical beans you find in this mix are great Northern, pinto, large lima, yelloweye, garbanzo, baby lima, green split, kidney, cranberry, small white, pink, small red, yellow split, lentil, navy, white kidney, and black beans.
The most common version is Hurst’s HamBeens 15 Bean Soup. But there is also a 13 bean soup from Bob’s Red Mill and a Goya 16 Bean Soup. Any version will work for this recipe so use which one you like best.
Slow Cooker 15 Bean Soup and Ham
This simple soup is the best to make because it is filled with flavor and requires almost no prep. The whole family will love to eat it and you can fix it and forget it. You toss everything in, stir it up and leave it until dinnertime. You don’t have to stir it or do anything which is my favorite kind if slow cooker meal.
15 Bean Soup with ham is a thick and hearty soup that can easily be eaten on its own for dinner. If you are looking to make the soup stretch or prefer a thinner soup add a few cups of chicken broth or water at the end. Add liquid until the consistency is to your liking.
15 Bean Soup – No Soaking Needed
When I make this recipe I have the beans cook all day long in the crockpot. This way I don’t have to soak them overnight.
However, if you are trying to make this quickly you will need to do a quick soak. This still requires an hour but better than overnight. Here are the directions if you don’t have all day to cook the beans.
- Boil the beans: Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Cook the beans for 1 minute, then remove the pot from the heat.
- Soak for 1 hour: Cover with a lid and let the beans to soak in the warm water for one hour.
- Drain the beans: Drain the beans into a colander. Rinse and begin to cook according to your recipe.
How to Make Slow Cooker 15 Bean Soup and Ham
Step 1 . Add 15 bean mix, ham bone, onion, celery, garlic, chili powder, bay leaf, tomatoes and red pepper.
Step 2. Add chicken broth. Stir to combine.
Step 3. Cook on low for 8 hours.
Step 4. Add additional ham and seasoning packet from soup mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
Quick Tip- I only add 1/2 the seasoning packet to my soup. The flavor can be intense so make sure to add slowly to flavor to your preference.
More Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love
Slow Cooker 15 Bean Soup and Ham
- 1 bag 15 Bean Soup Mix
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth can substitute for water or vegetable broth
- 1 leftover ham bone with meat or 1 lb of diced ham
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped (optional)
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chili powder optional
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 cup additional leftover ham optional
- Rinse beans and discard any debris. Set packet aside until finished cooking.
- Add 15 bean mix, ham bone, onion, celery, garlic, chili powder, bay leaf, tomatoes, and red pepper flakes.
- Pour chicken broth on top of ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add additional ham and seasoning packet from soup mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Enjoy with cornbread!