This Slow Cooker Peanut Chicken is perfect for an easy weeknight meal for the whole family! Peanut butter and coconut milk make the perfect combination of sweet and savory. Once you taste the flavor combination of this dish it will be one of your gluten free go-to dinners.
If peanut butter is a staple in your house like it is in mine then this is the recipe for you. My kids and really everyone in my house loves peanut butter and when I found a way to incorporate into dinner I was beyond excited!!! If you are a fan of Asian recipes check out this other easy Honey Teriyaki Chicken.
Disclaimer- Some links below are Amazon affiliate links, meaning at no extra cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Fix and Forget It Dinner Option
When I have a busy week I always make sure to put this on my meal planner. (Need a weekly meal planner, here’s a free one!) If you have made any of my other easy chicken recipes you know I love to use my slow cooker insert as a bowl to mix all my ingredients so I don’t even have to dirty a bowl. Because doesn’t everyone hate doing dishes!
This recipe is easy to throw together. If you already enjoy Asian food you might already have the ingredients on hand like Sesame Oil, Chili Paste, Rice Vinegar and Gluten Free Soy Sauce. If you don’t have these already they will become staples in your pantry because they are so delicious and give dishes so much flavor. You can find these in most grocery stores in the International aisle.
All you have to do is take all the ingredients below and mix them together in your slow cooker insert. Throw your chicken in coat it in the peanut butter sauce. Voila…dinner is done!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Peanut Chicken
- Chicken Breasts or Chicken Thighs
- Coconut milk
- Peanut Butter
- Tamari or Gluten Free Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Rice Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
- Chili Paste
- Peanuts, chopped (optional)
- Broccoli Slaw Mix (optional)
How to Serve Slow Cooker Peanut Chicken
You can serve Thai Peanut Chicken with noodles (pad thai rice noodles to stay gluten-free), rice or even use it as chicken for a salad or in lettuce cups. I actually love this dish as a cold dish with noodles the next day.
Love Asian Recipes? Try these other Asian Inspired Dishes!
Freeze Your Ginger– If you like Asian-inspired recipes like me I like to freeze my ginger so I always have it on hand. It is so simple and will save you time and money. All you have to do is buy extra next time you go shopping. Grate or chop it up the extra when you are prepping.
I like making teaspoon portions since you don’t know how much a recipe will call for. Line a tray with parchment paper or use an ice tray to freeze. Once frozen pop the ginger into an airtight freezer bag.
Need A New Crock Pot?
My favorite is this Crock Pot 7 quart Programmable Slow Cooker. First and foremost, I love being able to set the timer in case I’m not home when the food is finished cooking and it just switches to warm. Plus you can lock the lid and just carry it to a party. Not only is it easy to carry but also you will never lose another Tupperware or serving dish again at a potluck party!
Slow Cooker Peanut Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 10.5 oz coconut milk can
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup Broccoli Slaw Mix
- Green onions
- Add coconut milk, peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger, brown sugar, chili paste and garlic to bottom of slow cooker. Mix ingredients together.
- Add chicken to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours. If you prefer a thicker sauce follow steps below.
- Mix 2 tablespoons water and cornstarch together in separate bowl. Add cornstarch slurry to slow cooker and stir in carefully.
- Cook additional 20 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Add Broccoli Slaw mix to chicken mixture. Serve over noddles or in lettuce cups. Garnish with lime juice, green onions and peanuts.