Get your Panda Express or PF Chang’s fix with this healthy version of sweet chili chicken. Next time you are craving Asian takeout make this easy and delicious meal at home!
Disclaimer- Some links below are Amazon affiliate links, meaning at no extra cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
What is Sweet Chili Chicken?
Sweet Chili Chicken is an Asian chicken recipe that uses a Sweet Chili Sauce as the base of the meal. It is a sweet and slightly spicy sauce that coats the chicken and veggies. As the name says, it is a sweet meal with the addition of pineapple and veggies to complete it.
You only need a few ingredients to make this light and bright meal. This makes it easy to throw together for a busy weeknight and have it cook in the crockpot until dinnertime.
Another part I love is that the veggies are included in the recipe so you can serve this well-balanced meal. Add even more veggies like snow peas and julienne carrots if you want. The sky is the limit on the amount and types of veggies you add.
What Ingredients Do You Need for Sweet Chili Chicken?
– Sweet Chili Sauce
– Pineapple Tidbits
– Bell Peppers
What is Sweet Chili Sauce?
Sweet Chili Sauce is an Asian sweet sauce. It does have a little heat to it because there are red chilis in the sauce. It is typically made of rice wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, garlic, sometimes fish sauce, and a sweetening ingredient such as fruit, sugar or honey. However, my kids eat this with no problem and they do not eat spicy food.
I usually use the Mae Ploy chili sauce since I’m not sure if the Panda Express one is gluten free. If you don’t have any food allergies feel free to use whatever sweet chili sauce is in the Asian aisle at your local grocery store.
Want More Crockpot Chicken Recipes?
Mexican Crunchy Chicken Casserole
Need A New Crock Pot?
My favorite is this Crock Pot 7 quart Programmable Slow Cooker. First and foremost, I love being able to set the timer in case I’m not home when the food is finished cooking and it just switches to warm. Plus you can lock the lid and just carry it to a party. Not only is it easy to carry but also you will never lose another Tupperware or serving dish again at a potluck party!
Sweet Chili Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups bell peppers cut into strips and diced
- 2 cups broccoli chopped
- 1 yellow onions minced
- 15 ounces canned pineapple tidbits drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces sweet chili sauce
- Cornstarch optional
- Rice optional
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Pour chili sauce and pineapple over chicken. Add broccoli, onions and bell peppers. (if you prefer crunchy veggies add these an hour before chicken is done.)
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce remove chicken and veggies and place in serving bowl. Pour sauce into sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Mix cornstarch and water together in a separate bowl. Add the cornstarch slurry into sauce and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Pour sauce back on top of chicken and veggies.
- Serve over rice.
leave a reply