This Mexican Crunchy Chicken Casserole is filled with layers of chicken, tortilla chips and a creamy sauce making this a one pot wonder!
Mexican food is a favorite in our house so anytime I can incorporate it into a fast and easy recipe I do a little happy dance! This casserole is perfect for a busy weeknight or to bring to a potluck.
Disclaimer- Some links below are Amazon affiliate links, meaning at no extra cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Making the Mexican Crunchy Chicken Casserole
Making this barely takes any prep time which is why you are sure to love it on top of how delicious it is!
Step One -Start by making the filling. You mix the cream cheese and salsa verde together until combined.
Whenever a recipe calls for cream cheese I never remember to take it out and soften it. So I always throw it in the microwave for a minute to soften it so that I can stir it in.
Step 2- Stir in chicken, green chiles, onion, cilantro, garlic and cumin.
Step 3- Start building the casserole by layer 1/4 of the tortilla chips on the bottom.
Step 4- Add a 1/3 of the chicken filling.
Step 5- Top with 1/2 cup of cheese.
Step 6- Repeat layers twice ending with the cheese.
Step 7- Cook for 4 hours on low or 2 hours on high.
Step 8- Once finished top with remaining chips and cheese and let melt on top before serving.
Looking for a delicious side dish to go with the Mexican Crunch Casserole? Try this Mexican Street Corn!
Gluten-Free- All of my recipes are gluten free since my husband has celiac disease, which means he is allergic to gluten. All of the ingredients in this recipe are gluten free.
More Easy Casserole Ideas
Looking for other great casseroles? Try one of these!
Need A New Crock Pot?
My favorite is this Crock Pot 7 quart Programmable Slow Cooker. First and foremost, I love being able to set the timer in case I’m not home when the food is finished cooking and it just switches to warm. Plus you can lock the lid and just carry it to a party. Not only is it easy to carry but also you will never lose another Tupperware or serving dish again at a potluck party!
Crunchy Chicken Casserole
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 16 ounces salsa verde
- 8 ounces diced green chiles drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 8 cups tortilla chips broken if needed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl stir together cream cheese and salsa verde until combined. Stir in chicken, green chiles, onion, cilantro, garlic and cumin.
- Layer 1/4 of the tortilla chips in the bottom. Top with 1/3 of the chicken mixture and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Cook on low for 3 hours or high for 1 1/2 hours.
- Once cooked top with remaining chips and cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with avocado and sour cream. (Optional)