Easy Crockpot Chicken and Rice Casserole is filled with savory flavors that will become a quick family favorite. This creamy, cheesy, gluten-free chicken and rice recipe has a secret ingredient…ground sausage! The flavors of this dish come together to make an instant classic that you will serve on repeat.
Just like any amazing recipe, this one came to me as a cherished family recipe that has been passed down for generations. I took one bite and immediately needed the recipe. Of course, like any good family recipe, there is no recipe!!!
However, I wrote down all the steps and it came out just as delicious. The original recipe calls for chicken livers (see how old it is) but the one I tried and this one just use chicken breasts. I’m happy to report it’s now one of my family’s favorite dinners.
Another reason I love this easy Crockpot Chicken and Rice Casserole recipe is that it can be made with simple ingredients and not very much prep. This is my go-to dinner when I want a meal with little effort but big taste! The layers of flavors are what make this meal so great. The five minutes you spend browning the ground sausage and onions is what makes this chicken and rice casserole different from all the others. This step adds depth to the seasoning of the meal along with the mushrooms you have a savory dish that melts in your mouth.
This casserole is hearty all in one dinner with chicken, sausage, mushrooms, and rice, so you can really eat it on its own. I always love a recipe that doesn’t even need a side dish. Another easy casserole is my Beefy Potato Taco Casserole!
INGREDIENTS FOR EASY CROCKPOT CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE
- 2 pounds chicken– Boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs work for this recipe.
- 16 oz ground sausage- I used Jimmy Dean Premium Pork Sausage, Regular. They have a different option like hot if you want to spice it up.
- 1 can (7 oz) sliced mushrooms and stems– You can swap for fresh mushrooms if you want! The original recipe used canned so I just wanted to recreate that flavor.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups white rice- Brown rice would work too!
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese– I usually shred my own cheese because the pre-shredded kind has an anti-caking agent which I think makes it harder to melt.
- 1 tablespoon pepper- This is one of the key flavors so make sure to pepper it up!
This Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Casserole is delicious leftover! Store the leftover chicken and rice in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. Freeze the leftover for up to 3 months.
Reheat in the microwave for about 2 minutes to warm through and enjoy! Alternatively, you can reheat in the oven covered for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees (F).
TIPS FOR THE EASY CROCKPOT CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE
- Cook rice with chicken stock or broth instead of water. This gives the rice even more flavor.
- Every slow cooker cooks at different temperatures. Mine usually cooks chicken breasts on high in 2-3 hours or 4 hours on low. Check your chicken starting at 2 hours until you are familiar to what temperature it cooks at.
Food Allergies- Gluten Free
All of my recipes are Gluten Free! I make everything gluten free in our house because my husband has celiac disease, which is when you are allergic to gluten. This recipe is naturally gluten free so you don’t need to substitute any ingredients!
MORE CROCK POT CASSEROLE MEALS
Easy Crockpot Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 16 oz ground sausage browned
- 7 oz sliced mushrooms 1 can
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups rice cooked
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 4 tbsp butter sliced
- Brown sausage and onion in pan with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Cut chicken into cubes. Add 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Add chicken and cooked sausage to the slow cooker.
- Pour mushrooms on top of chicken. Sprinkle garlic and butter on top.
- Cover; Cook for 3-4 hours on low or 2-3 hours on high.
- Cook rice on stovetop or rice cooker, swap water for chicken broth.
- After chicken is cooked add shredded cheese and rice to slow cooker. Stir to combine all ingredients. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt to taste.
- Cook for additional 15-20 minutes on high.
- Serve and enjoy!