Get ready for one of your favorite meals of all time! Crock Pot Beefy Potato Taco Casserole is filled with a cheesy Mexican sauce, diced potatoes with bell peppers, onions and ground beef! This simple, gluten free recipe is a quick dinner the whole family can dig in and enjoy.
CROCK POT CASSEROLES
Casseroles or one pot dinners, like this one, is a great go-to for a dinner. Casseroles are my jam because at the end of the day I like to have everything ready to go since I have no energy to cook at that point.
You can prepare this dish in less than 10 minutes because it is so easy to make. Plus, it is all in one pot so you will be able to dig in to dinner right away and will only have one dish to clean up! That is always a plus in my book.
Disclaimer- Some links below are Amazon affiliate links, meaning at no extra cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Potatoes are one of my favorite go to comfort foods and make a perfect addition to any casserole. I am happy to eat potatoes in any form but I love a good potato to add to slow cooker casseroles like my Kielbasa Casserole.
Since I’m from Arizona I am a big fan of Mexican food. I can eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. So anytime I can incorporate more Mexican dishes into my life I will! This recipe combines all of my favorites into one with potatoes, cheese, ground beef and Mexican spices.
The potatoes add a great balance to all the cheese and meat and the flavors come together to make a crowd pleasing dish that everyone will enjoy.
SPICE IT UP
By using a Mexican spice packet it adds delicious flavor to the meal with almost no work. I used this McCormick Mild Mexican Spice Packet because I know it’s gluten free.
If you want to make it spicer you can use the spicy version or make your own spice mix . Here’s a link to my make your own spices including a Mexican spice version. A quick pour of the spices over everything and this meal goes from bland to fiesta for your mouth!
FROZEN HASH BROWNS OR DICED POTATOES?
So I know what you are thinking… Should I use hash browns or diced potatoes in this recipe?? Well, I went to buy hash browns and saw these diced hash browns in the freezer section. They already had onions and peppers in them so I figured that made my life even easier! If I can save time and don’t have to chop anything I’m always for that short cut.
But you can easily add true hash browns to this recipe! They will work the same but I would probably add some diced onions and peppers to give it the flavor.
You could even add diced potatoes that aren’t frozen. Just make sure to dice them small and cook them long enough that they are soft.
TIPS FOR MAKING CROCK POT BEEFY POTATO TACO CASSEROLE
* Make sure to use frozen potatoes. Do not thaw them first or they will be mushy by the time they are finished cooking. Again, if you use regular potatoes cook them until they are soft.
* Shred your own cheese. If you buy pre-shredded cheese it has an anti-caking agent on it that makes it hard to melt. It’s important that the cheese melts in this so shred your own.
* Add traditional Mexican toppings to this dish like lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream and jalapenos.
* This is a great dish for a taco bar! You can just make a big pot of it and keep it in the Crock Pot on warm. Layer out all the toppings mentions above and everyone can serve themselves!
* This dish makes a lot so be prepared for leftovers. The best part is it is just as delicious reheated.
* If you don’t like Velveeta you can swap it for more shredded cheese.
Food Allergies- Gluten Free
All of my recipes are Gluten Free! I make everything gluten free in our house because my husband has celiac disease, which is when you are allergic to gluten.
Taco Spice Packets commonly have gluten added to them. Always make sure and check the label before you buy any spice packets, gravy packets or really anything that comes in a packet. McCormick Spices makes this gluten free Taco Mix so you know it is safe! But Old El Paso has one that is gluten free and you can always make your own spices too.
Also, don’t swap the Velveeta in this recipe for Cream of Cheddar Soup. This also has gluten in it as do most “Cream of” Anything Soup. I’m not sure why but they love to add gluten to canned soups.
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT BEEFY POTATO TACO CASSEROLE
Step 1. Brown ground beef and garlic and add to slow cooker.
Step 2. Pour potatoes, Velveeta, 1 cup shredded cheese.
Step 3. Stir all ingredients together and top with remaining shredded cheese.
Step 4. Cook on high for 2- 2 1/2 hours or low for 4 hours.
Step 5. Once finished cooking, stir to throughly incorporate cheese throughout. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Crock Pot Beefy Potato Taco Casserole
- Slow Cooker 4 Qt or larger
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 28 oz Diced Potatoes or 32 oz Hash browns
- 16 oz Velveeta cut into small cubes
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 Taco Seasoning Mix Packet
- Brown ground beef and garlic and add to slow cooker.
- Pour potatoes, Velveeta, 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Stir all ingredients together and top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Cook on high for 2- 2 1/2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- Once finished cooking, stir to thoroughly incorporate cheese throughout. Serve with your favorite toppings.