Our Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup with Potatoes and Bacon offers a delightful bowl of cheesy comfort food made easy in the slow cooker. This family favorite soup is filled with beef, potatoes, bacon, Velveeta cheese, and cream cheese for a cozy meal that will warm you up.
Why This Easy Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup Recipe Is a Must-Try
Cheeseburgers are an all-time favorite for many, and when you can enjoy those flavors in a comforting soup, it becomes an instant hit. This recipe is not only delicious but also incredibly convenient as it’s made in a crockpot, allowing you to set it and forget it.
Plus, with the addition of potatoes, it’s not just soup; it’s a hearty meal that will leave you satisfied.
Crockpot Potato Soup
For many, there’s nothing quite like a hearty and flavorful soup, especially when the seasons change and the weather cools down. Soups are a staple in our family, and we particularly love crafting them in the crockpot due to their effortless preparation and the way they fill our homes with irresistible aromas. Today, we’re excited to share with you a cheeseburger soup recipe that embodies all the comfort you seek on a cold day. Trust us; this one’s a keeper!
Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup Ingredients (Full Recipe in Recipe Card)
What sets this cheeseburger soup apart? The secret lies in the cheese. The cream cheese and Velveeta not only act as a thickening agent, eliminating the need for flour, but it also imparts a delightful cheesy flavor that will leave you craving for more. This soup has quickly become a family favorite, and we can’t wait to share it with you.
- Ground Beef (Flavorful Protein): Ground beef serves as the flavorful protein base of our soup, mimicking the taste of a classic cheeseburger. It infuses the soup with savory richness and satisfying meaty goodness.
- Russet Potatoes (Hearty Comfort): Potatoes are the heart of this dish, providing substance and comfort. They become tender during the slow cooking, adding a comforting texture that makes each spoonful delightful.
- White Onion (Subtle Sweetness): Chopped white onion adds a subtle sweetness and depth of flavor to the soup, complementing the savory elements beautifully.
- Shredded Carrots (Colorful Texture): Shredded carrots not only introduce vibrant color but also contribute a pleasing texture and a touch of natural sweetness to the soup.
- Chicken Broth (Flavorful Foundation): The chicken broth serves as the flavorful foundation of our soup. It provides a savory base that enhances the overall taste and aroma of the dish. Opt for low-sodium broth for better control over the salt content.
- Italian Seasoning (Aromatic Blend): Italian seasoning brings a delightful blend of herbs and spices to the mix, infusing the soup with an aromatic character that elevates the overall flavor profile.
- Minced Garlic (Flavor Booster): Minced garlic acts as a flavor booster, enhancing the savory notes of the soup with its aromatic and robust taste.
- Salt and Black Pepper (Seasoning Harmony): Salt and black pepper are the seasoning heroes, ensuring that all the flavors harmonize perfectly. Adjust them to taste to achieve the desired balance of savory goodness.
- Velveeta Cheese (Creamy Indulgence): Velveeta cheese adds a luscious creaminess to the soup. Its ability to melt smoothly creates a luxurious texture that coats every ingredient, making each bite a creamy delight.
- Cream Cheese (Thickening and Cheesy Bliss): Cream cheese serves a dual purpose. Firstly, it acts as a natural thickening agent, eliminating the need for flour. Secondly, it infuses the soup with a delectable cheesy flavor that will leave you yearning for more.
Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup Ingredients:
1. Start with the Potatoes: Place the peeled and diced russet potatoes at the bottom of the crockpot. These will absorb all the savory goodness and become tender during the slow cooking process.
2. Add Brown the Ground Beef: Over medium heat, cook the lean ground beef in a large skillet, ensuring it crumbles and browns thoroughly. Keep cooking until there’s no pink left, then drain any excess fat before adding it to the slow cooker.
3. Add in the Carrots, Onions, and Carrots: Sprinkle the finely chopped small white onion, shredded carrots, and celery into the celery.
4. Sprinkle Spices: Evenly sprinkle Italian Spices, salt, pepper, and garlic over the vegetables.
5. Pour in the Chicken Broth: Gently pour in three cups of chicken broth. Ensure it covers all the ingredients in the crockpot, ensuring even cooking.
9. Cover & Cook: Place the lid securely on your crockpot, and set it to cook on the low heat setting. Let the soup simmer and meld together for about 4-6 hours. This slow cooking process will allow all the flavors to blend harmoniously, and the potatoes will become tender.
10. Add Cheese: Cut the Velveeta cheese and cream cheese into small cubes to help it melt evenly into the soup. Add to slow cooker for 30 minutes until melted.
11. Stir, Garnish, and Serve: Once the cheese is melted stir to combine all the ingredients. Taste to see if any extra salt or pepper is needed. Garnish with bacon, pickles, and onions if desired.
Toppings for Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup
For an extra burst of flavor and visual appeal, consider garnishing your cheeseburger soup with some of these options:
- Crumbled bacon for that extra crunch
- Chopped pickles
- Diced tomatoes
- Chopped fresh parsley or green onions
- Additional shredded cheese
- A dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Ketchup or mustard to make it a true cheeseburger soup
Substitutions for Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup
Our Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup recipe isn’t just delicious; it’s also incredibly versatile and adaptable. This is a dish that welcomes ingredient swaps and creative twists, making it the perfect recipe for using what you have on hand or personalizing it to your taste preferences. Here’s some ideas to switch it up!
- Lean Ground Turkey or Chicken: Opt for lean ground turkey or chicken as a lighter and healthier alternative to ground beef, while preserving the savory flavors.
- Turkey Bacon: Swap regular bacon with turkey bacon to retain smokiness while reducing fat content.
- Sweet Potatoes: Swap russet potatoes for sweet potatoes to introduce a subtle sweetness and boost nutrition in your soup.
- Red or Yellow Bell Peppers: Replace onions with red or yellow bell peppers for a milder, slightly sweet flavor that works as a delightful alternative.
- Vegetable Broth: Choose vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to create a vegetarian-friendly version while maintaining a rich, savory taste.
- Thyme or Oregano: Substitute Italian seasoning with dried thyme or oregano for a unique herbal twist to your soup.
- Garlic Powder: Use garlic powder as a convenient alternative to minced garlic, still infusing your soup with a robust garlic flavor.
- Ground Pork: Experiment with ground pork to bring a different meaty richness while keeping the essence of a cheeseburger.
- Cheddar Cheese: When Velveeta cheese is unavailable, shredded cheddar cheese can provide that classic cheesy taste.
- Low-Fat Cream Cheese: Opt for low-fat cream cheese when watching your calorie intake, maintaining the creamy texture of the soup.
- Gluten-Free Flour: Use a gluten-free flour blend or cornstarch as a thickening agent if you need a gluten-free option.
- Cauliflower Florets: For a lower-carb option, consider adding cauliflower florets to your soup in place of potatoes.
- Mushrooms: If seeking a vegetarian meat replacement, sautéed mushrooms provide a meaty texture and umami flavor.
- Low-Sodium Soy Sauce: Enhance savory notes with low-sodium soy sauce instead of salt for a subtle umami kick.
- Fresh Herbs: Utilize fresh basil, parsley, or cilantro for a brighter, more vibrant flavor profile compared to dried herbs.
- Greek Yogurt: Substitute sour cream or cream cheese with Greek yogurt for a tangy, protein-packed alternative.
- Pickled Jalapeños: For an added spicy element, top your soup with pickled jalapeño slices instead of pickles.
Side Dishes Ideas
Serve your Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup with Potatoes as a complete meal or with some complementary side dishes:
- Crusty bread or dinner rolls for dipping
- A fresh green salad with a tangy vinaigrette
- Steamed vegetables for a healthier twist
- Pickles or pickled jalapeños for a zesty kick
FAQ’s for Crockpot Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
Can I use frozen hashbrowns instead of russet potatoes? Yes! The hashbrowns are a great substitute. Frozen hashbrowns will cook faster so make sure to change the cooking time to about half the cooking time.
Can I make this soup in advance and reheat it? Absolutely! This soup reheats well. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave for a quick and satisfying meal.
Q2: Can I use frozen vegetables instead of fresh ones? Yes, you can use frozen vegetables as a convenient alternative. Just be aware that they may release a bit more moisture into the soup, so you might need to adjust the cooking time slightly.
What can I substitute for Velveeta cheese if I don’t have it? If you don’t have Velveeta cheese, shredded cheddar cheese can be used. I would use 3 cups of shredded cheese to substitute it.
Is there a way to make this soup vegetarian? To make this soup vegetarian, simply replace the ground beef with a plant-based ground meat alternative and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Additionally, you can use dairy-free cream cheese to keep it vegan.
Can I use a different type of meat, like ground chicken or pork? Yes, you can experiment with different meats. Ground chicken or pork can be used as alternatives to ground beef, offering their unique flavors while maintaining the essence of a cheeseburger.
Can I add more vegetables to this soup? Certainly! Feel free to add extra vegetables such as corn, peas, or green beans for added texture and flavor. Customize it to your liking.
What can I do if my soup turns out too thick? If your soup becomes too thick, you can thin it out by adding a bit more chicken broth or milk until it reaches your desired consistency.
Can I freeze this soup for later use? Yes, this soup can be frozen for later enjoyment. Store it in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. Thaw it in the refrigerator before reheating.
What are some other topping ideas besides bacon and pickles? Get creative with your toppings! Try sliced avocado, chopped scallions, croutons, or even a dollop of guacamole for a unique twist on your cheeseburger soup.
Potatoes- Russet potatoes are ideal for this Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup due to their ability to thicken the soup, absorb flavors, and maintain a satisfying texture, all while being readily available and cost-effective.
Smoother texture- For a smoother texture, you can partially mash the potatoes once they’re tender. This will thicken the soup and create a creamier consistency.
Hot Sauce- Add some hot sauce to spice it up! I like to use Franks Hot Sauce or Chalula since it adds flavor but not that much heat.
All of the ingredients I use are gluten-free. My husband has celiac disease, which means you are allergic to gluten.
You will need to make sure to use gluten-free products to keep this recipe gluten-free. This recipe is naturally gluten-free so you don’t need to use any specific ingredients to keep it gluten-free.
Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup with Bacon
- 2 pounds ground beef browned & drained
- 2 russet potatoes peeled & diced
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz Velveeta cheese cubed
- 8 oz cream cheese cubed
- 1/2 cup bacon crumbled
- Place the peeled and diced russet potatoes at the bottom of the crockpot.
- Cook the lean ground beef over medium heat. Keep cooking until there's no pink left, then drain any excess fat before adding it to the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the finely chopped small white onion, shredded carrots, and celery into the celery.
- Evenly sprinkle Italian Spices, salt, pepper, and garlic over the vegetables.
- Gently pour in three cups of chicken broth. Make sure it covers all the ingredients in the crockpot, ensuring even cooking.
- Place the lid securely on your crockpot, and set it to cook on the low heat setting. Let the soup simmer and meld together for about 4-6 hours.
- Cut the Velveeta cheese and cream cheese into small cubes to help it melt evenly into the soup. Add to slow cooker for 30 minutes until melted.
- Once the cheese is melted stir to combine all the ingredients. Taste to see if any extra salt or pepper is needed. Garnish with bacon, pickles and onions if desired and serve.