This is one of my all-time favorite soups in the world! It is life-changing and once you take a bite you will crave this soup for life. Thai Coconut and Chicken Soup is bursting with fresh flavors that come together to create the perfect balance when simmered all day in the crockpot. This soup has it all with chicken and veggies in a creamy coconut sauce.
Tom Kha Gai Soup
Another name for this soup is Tom Kha Gai and if it is ever on a menu at a restaurant I’m ordering it. I recommend you do the same! The reason this soup is so incredible is the flavor combination of lemongrass, lime, fish sauce, ginger, and mushrooms that infuses the chicken while cooking all day in the crockpot. Then you add the creamy coconut milk to create a hearty soup that will warm you any day!
I was actually looking for a recipe to make with my leftover coconut milk from my Slow Cooker Peanut Chicken. Of course, I can never throw away anything that is leftover so I love to create brand new recipes with them. I found this recipe from my all-time favorite Martha Stewart and had to make it for myself.
If you wanted to know how much I love Martha Stewart, which you don’t, for my 13th birthday I asked for a subscription to Martha Stewart Living. I have received every magazine since then which is quite a lot since I’m 38. I love to read all her recipes and create my own simpler versions. So in a way Martha is the reason I cook!
Easy Thai Coconut and Chicken Soup
I couldn’t find a lot of the unique ingredients that the Martha Stewart version called for in her recipe. However, you can find easy substitutions in your local grocery store for this soup that will still turn out amazing. If you happen to have an Asian market near you go there and follow Martha’s recipe but for the rest of us, this is a delicious version.
There are a few things you can’t leave out to make Thai Coconut and Chicken Soup and those ingredients are fish sauce, lemongrass, coconut milk, and shitake mushrooms. If you can’t find those ingredients then this recipe will not turn out with the right flavor. These provide the base for the unique flavor and can’t be replaced.
Ingredients to Make Thai Coconut and Chicken Soup
- Lemongrass Stalks
- Chicken Broth
- Fish Sauce
- Lime Zest and Juice
- Red chili
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Shitake Mushrooms
- Coconut Milk (unsweetened)
Hope you enjoy Thai Coconut and Chicken Soup as much as we did! If you are looking for more Crock Pot Soups check these cozy ones out.
Thai Coconut and Chicken Soup
- 3 lemongrass stalks outer layers removed and smashed
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 piece ginger peeled and sliced thin
- 1 lime zest of entire lime
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 fresno chili
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 13.5 oz unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 carrot chopped
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp basil fresh, chopped
- 1 scallions thinly sliced
- Take lemon grass stalks and remove outside layers. Take meat tenderizer and break open stalks.
- Combine lemongrass, broth, fish sauce, sugar, ginger, lime zest, shallot, chile, chicken, and mushrooms in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Add coconut milk and carrot, and cook on high 30 minutes longer.
- Add in lime juice and basil. Top with lime wedges, scallions and basil.