Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel
Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel is quick and slightly spicy pasta dinner that’s perfect for busy weeknights! Loaded with flavor from the Rotel tomatoes, Velveeta, and cream cheese this creamy, cheesy pasta is always a crowd-pleaser! Made right in the Crockpot for a homemade family favorite.
Chicken Velveeta Spaghetti
This Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel and Velveeta recipe is great for those nights when you want a satisfying meal without a lot of fuss. Pasta, cream sauce, chicken, and cheese are a winning combination. Everyone always loves a big bowl of pasta but this recipe is a fun way to get your comfort food fix with a twist.
The Rotel tomatoes add a little Mexican flair to the pasta giving it just the right amount of spice and flavor. Mexican Chicken Spaghetti takes traditional pasta and turns it into a big flavor dish.
What is Chicken Spaghetti?
Chicken Spaghetti is a chicken casserole that has a cheesy sauce with chicken and Rotel tomatoes. This recipe has been passed down through family recipe boxes for many generations. I have always known this dish as Mexican Chicken Spaghetti and thought it had Mexican roots since it features green chiles and tomatoes. Of course, this is probably because I grew up in Arizona.
However, the original chicken spaghetti was actually made in Mississippi at a boarding house and wasn’t commonplace in homes until a NY Times food writer shared the recipe. This southern classic was an instant hit at dinner tables. The rest is history and families have been enjoying this cheesy pasta ever since. Many chefs have taken the recipe and created their own version of the chicken spaghetti that we have today. The most important part is that it is a creamy, cheesy pasta dish filled with flavor.
Digging into comforting pasta is a great way to end the day! Using my crockpot to make pasta dishes is an easy way to have I love to make my viral Garlic Parmesan Chicken Pasta, Crockpot Baked Ziti, and Crockpot Lasagna for cozy meals that everyone can enjoy.
So grab your crockpot and get ready to make this tasty and easy gooey cheesy chicken spaghetti with Rotel.
Ingredients for Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel
- Chicken– Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are used in this recipe. Chicken is a great source of protein and is low in fat, making it a healthy addition to any meal.
- Cream of chicken soup– It adds a creamy texture and rich flavor to the dish. Cream of Mushroom will work as well.
- Canned diced tomatoes and green chilis– This ingredient is commonly known as Rotel and adds a slightly spicy and tangy flavor to the dish. It is made with diced tomatoes, green chilis, and seasonings.
- Velveeta cheese– It is used in this recipe to add creaminess and flavor to the dish.
- Cream Cheese– This adds a balance to the Velvetta.
- Spaghetti– Spaghetti soaks in all the sauce but any pasta will work.
- Spices: garlic and onion powder, salt, and pepper- These spices are used to enhance the flavor of the dish. Garlic and onion powder add a more complex flavor, while salt and pepper are used to add seasoning.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese- Optional topping for serving.
Why I Love Chicken Spaghetti With Rotel
- QUICK TO PREP- This meal is so easy to prep in the morning with no chopping needed. Dump-and-go dinners are my favorite.
- MAKES A TON- If you need to feed a crowd or a big family this recipe makes a ton of food. Feel free to half it if needed.
- SIMPLE INGREDIENTS- Most of these ingredients are already in your pantry or fridge so it’s simple to make.
- ONE POT DINNER- Hearty and filling this dinner has all you need for a complete meal in one crockpot.
- FUN FLAVORS- This spicy flavor gives you a new twist on a classic pasta dinner.
How to Make Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel
Step 1. Place chicken in the slow cooker.
Step 2. Add cubed Velveeta, cream cheese, cream of chicken soup, Rotel tomatoes, and spices on top of the chicken.
Step 3. Sprinkle with spices and stir the ingredients together. Cover the chicken with the ingredients.
Step 4. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken once cooked and shred. Stir the liquid when the chicken is removed to create a creamy sauce.
Step 5. Add chicken back into the slow cooker.
Step 5. Boil spaghetti and drain. Add to slow cooker and toss with chicken and sauce. Top with shredded cheese if desired and serve.
- Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for the best results. They cook up tender and juicy, and they’re easy to shred.
- You can adjust the level of spiciness by using more or less Rotel. If you prefer a milder flavor, use less Rotel or substitute it with diced tomatoes.
- Be sure to cube the Velveeta cheese and soften the cream cheese before adding them to the crockpot. This will help them melt and incorporate into the sauce more easily.
- Pump up the Veggies, you can add chopped vegetables like bell peppers, onions, or mushrooms to the crockpot. Simply add them in with the other ingredients and let them cook together.
- Cook the spaghetti separately according to the package instructions, then add it to the crockpot and stir everything together. This helps to prevent the spaghetti from becoming overcooked and mushy. I like to cook mine right when the chicken has been shredded so it doesn’t get stuck together waiting to be tossed.
- You can also use leftover cooked chicken instead of raw chicken. Simply shred the cooked chicken and add it to the crockpot with the other ingredients. This will cut down on the cooking time.
- If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. You can reheat them in the microwave or on the stove with a little bit of water or broth to keep the pasta from drying out.
With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to make a delicious and easy crockpot chicken spaghetti with Rotel that everyone will love.
Easy Crockpot Dinner
Using a crockpot to make this recipe has several advantages. Firstly, a crockpot is a hands-off cooking method, which means that you can simply toss all the ingredients in and let them cook together without any active monitoring or stirring. This makes it a great option for busy weeknights or when you don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
In addition, cooking the chicken and pasta in the crockpot allows them to absorb all the delicious flavors from the sauce and seasonings, resulting in a more flavorful dish. Plus, cooking the chicken in the crockpot ensures that it comes out tender and juicy, as it is cooked slowly and at a low temperature.
Using a crockpot means that you can make the entire dish in one pot, which makes for easy cleanup. Crockpots come in a variety of sizes, which means that you can easily adjust the recipe to make more or less depending on your needs. Additionally, you can easily keep the dish warm in the crockpot if you’re serving it for a party or potluck.
Overall, using a crockpot is a great option for making chicken spaghetti with Rotel because it’s convenient, flavorful, and results in a tender and delicious meal. So, if you’re looking for an easy and tasty meal that can be made with minimal effort, try the crockpot.
In case you don’t have enough time to cook it in the crockpot; here’s how you can do it in the oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked spaghetti, diced chicken, cream of chicken soup, Rotel tomatoes and green chilies, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add the mixture to a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Cut the Velveeta and cream cheese into small cubes and scatter over the top of the spaghetti mixture.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned on top. Top with shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Cooking time may vary depending on your oven and the size of your baking dish, so keep an eye on the dish while it’s cooking to ensure that it doesn’t overcook or dry out.
Easy Substitutions for Crockpot Chicken Spaghetti
If you’re looking to make this recipe your own, or if you have dietary restrictions or preferences that require some ingredient swaps, don’t worry – there are plenty of ways to customize this dish! Whether you want to add more spice, swap out certain ingredients, or make it gluten-free, we’ve got you covered. Here are some ideas for substitutions and swaps that you can use to make this recipe fit your tastes.
- Chicken: You can use chicken thighs, turkey, ground beef, or sausage instead of chicken.
- Cream of chicken soup: Cream of mushroom, cream of celery, or cream of broccoli soup can be used instead of cream of chicken soup.
- Canned diced tomatoes and green chilis: You can use salsa or diced tomatoes with jalapeños instead of Rotel. If you don’t like spicy you can just use diced tomatoes.
- Garlic: Minced garlic cloves, garlic paste, or garlic powder can be used in this recipe.
- Spices: You can adjust the spices to your taste and swap out onion powder for minced onions or add additional seasonings like cumin, paprika, or chili powder.
- Add a taco spice packet to make it even more flavor-filled.
- Velveeta cheese: Not a fan of Velveeta? Cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, or Colby cheese can be used instead of Velveeta. Make sure to shred it yourself so it melts well.
- Cream Cheese- Use sour cream for another creamy base for the sauce.
- Spaghetti: You can use any type of pasta you prefer, such as fettuccine, penne, or macaroni. I make all my recipes gluten-free but if you don’t have that restriction any pasta will work the same.
Lighten Up Chicken Spaghetti Recipe with Rotel
Looking for all the flavor of this comfort food but need it to be more healthy? I have you covered! Here are some ideas to make this dish lighter without sacrificing all the flavor.
- Use 1/3 less fat cream cheese or greek yogurt instead of cream cheese.
- Swap pasta for spaghetti squash for a low-carb option.
- Use a low-sodium or no-salt-added canned tomatoes: This will reduce the overall sodium content of the dish.
What to Serve with Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel
This meal is hearty enough to serve on its own. But if you are looking for some delicious side dishes to serve with the meal I like to serve garlic bread, a big salad, or my slow cooker Mexican Corn. Or you can serve it with the original side dishes from the recipe creator which were garlic pickles and potato chips! This is a great way to serve this easy Crockpot pasta dish for a party. Add these to stretch this chicken spaghetti dinner even further.
How to Store Leftovers
If you have leftovers of chicken spaghetti with Rotel here’s how to store this recipe-
- Allow the pasta to cool down to room temperature before storing it in an airtight container. This will prevent condensation from forming inside the container and keep the pasta from becoming soggy.
- Store the pasta in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Be sure to label the container with the date so you can keep track of how long it has been stored.
How to Reheat
To reheat the pasta, you can either microwave it or reheat it on the stove. If microwaving, cover the container with a damp paper towel to prevent the pasta from drying out. If reheating on the stove, add a little bit of water or chicken broth to the pot to prevent the pasta from sticking and add some moisture.
Can You Freeze this Recipe?
I don’t recommend freezing pasta like spaghetti. The pasta can become mushy and the sauce can separate upon thawing. If you do need to freeze it, make sure to store it in a freezer-safe container and consume it within 1-2 months.
All of the ingredients I use are gluten-free. My husband has celiac disease, which means you are allergic to gluten.
You will need to make sure to use gluten-free products to keep this recipe gluten-free. Cream of chicken soup usually has gluten in it. I always use Pacific Brand Cream of Chicken Soup since they are verified gluten-free. Also, pasta contains gluten. Use gluten-free pasta such as Barilla Gluten Free Spaghetti for this recipe.
Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel
- 2 pounds chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 10 oz Rotel tomatoes diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup
- 16 oz Velveeta cubed
- 4 oz cream cheese cubed
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 16 oz spaghetti cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Place chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add cubed Velveeta, cubed cream cheese, cream of chicken soup, Rotel tomatoes, and spices on top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle with spices and stir the ingredients together. Cover the chicken with the ingredients.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 hours until chicken is cooked.
- Remove chicken once cooked and shred. Stir the liquid when the chicken is removed to create a creamy sauce.
- Add chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Boil spaghetti anddrain. Add to slow cooker and toss with chicken and sauce. Top with shredded cheese if desired and serve.
leave a reply