BBQ chicken is one of my go to meals since I can make the chicken in the slow cooker and use it for several meals. This recipe came from one night when I did not have buns for sandwiches so I made it into a bowl. Now this is one of our favorite meals since it has roasted vegetables. They add a nice flavor to the BBQ. Feel free to switch out any vegetables to what you prefer. Once you start roasting your vegetables you will never go back!
BBQ Chicken Bowl
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bottle Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce gluten free
- 2 cups sweet potatoes diced
- 1 cup sweet onion diced
- 1 head broccoli stems cut off
- Olive oil
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. Reserve 1/4 cup BBQ sauce for serving. Cover chicken with remaining bottle of BBQ sauce. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees 40 minutes prior to meal time and start cooking rice.
- Cut vegetables and place in mixing bowl. Toss with olive oil until completely covered. Add salt to taste.
- Spread vegetables out on pan. Crowding them will make them steam instead of roast.
- Place vegetables in oven. Check on them every 15 minutes and flip vegetables. Cook until vegetables are charred with little black pieces. The onions will cook faster than the potatoes so remove those when tender and soft.
- Set vegetables aside when finished.
- Serve over rice with BBQ chicken, vegetables and top with reserved BBQ sauce