This classic comfort food is so easy in a slow cooker! Slow Cooker Shepherd’s Pie came from some creative women trying to use their leftovers back in the 1800s. I guess not much has changed since the 1800s, women just trying to turn their leftovers into something new for dinner.
This meaty meal is filled with vegetables and topped with mashed potatoes. I love mashed potatoes so this is an easy way to get my fix! The flavors come together into the perfect, cozy meal. Feel free to swap the lamb for all beef depending on what you like.
What is the difference between Shepherd’s Pie and Cottage Pie?
The difference between Shephard’s Pie and Cottage Pie is the meat you use. Traditionally Shepherd’s Pie is made with lamb and Cottage Pie is made with ground beef. However, as time has gone on most people call both versions Shephard’s Pie. There is a very serious debate over what is Shepherd’s Pie and what is Cottage Pie for some people but I made mine with ground beef but still call it Shepherd’s Pie. Here in the United States, we make Shepherd’s Pie with ground beef typically. However, in the United Kingdom, they use lamb in their Shepherd’s Pie. They call a similar dish using ground beef, Cottage Pie.
Perfect Dish for Leftovers
I always love using leftovers for different recipes and building them into my meal plans. (Here’s a link to the meal planner I use every week) Whenever I have leftover mashed potatoes or peas I use them to make this dish.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Shepherd’s Pie
- Ground beef or lamb
- French onion mix packet
- Frozen vegetable mix
- Cream of Mushroom
- Worcestershire sauce
- Cheddar cheese
- 2 packages (24 ounces each) of prepared mashed potatoes, leftover potatoes, or any mashed potatoes
Tips for Making Slow Cooker Shepherd’s Pie
Mashed Potatoes– You can use leftover mashed potatoes, instant mashed potatoes, or make them fresh. They are all delicious and work great!
Ground Beef or Ground Lamb– I have made this both with a mix of ground beef and ground lamb and with only ground beef. It’s easier for me to find ground beef so that’s what I use. You can use either beef or lamb or even both!
How to Make Slow Cooker Shepherd’s Pie
Step 1. Brown meat and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes, stirring to break up meat. Drain fat. Add meat to the slow cooker.
Step 2. Add frozen vegetable mix, French Onion Mix packet, cream of mushroom soup, and Worcestershire sauce to the slow cooker.
Step 3. Stir to combine all ingredients.
Step 4. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Step 5. Once finished cooking add a layer of mashed potatoes and shredded cheese. Cover and let cheese melt.
Step 6. Optional- Place under broiler for 5 minutes to brown mashed potatoes and cheese.
Need A New Crock Pot?
My favorite is this Crock Pot 7 quart Programmable Slow Cooker. First and foremost, I love being able to set the timer in case I’m not home when the food is finished cooking and it just switches to warm. Plus you can lock the lid and just carry it to a party. Not only is it easy to carry but also you will never lose another Tupperware or serving dish again at a potluck party!
Slow Cooker Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 12 ounces frozen vegtables
- 10.5 oz cream of mushroom soup
- 1 french onion mix packet
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 48 ounces prepared mashed potatoes Bob Evans is my pick, 2 packs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Brown meat and onion in large skillet over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes, stirring to break up meat. Drain fat. Add meat to slow cooker.
- Add frozen vegetable mix, French Onion Mix packet, cream of mushroom soup, and Worcestershire sauce to the slow cooker.
- Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Once finished cooking. Top with prepared mashed potatoes and shredded cheese. Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Optional- Place under broiler for 5 minutes to brown mashed potatoes and cheese.